My mom and dad came over last week with two giant bags full of avocados from my grandma’s orchard. I remember growing up in that orchard chucking avocados at tress instead of eating them… it took me until I was 25 to enjoy avocados. They used to make me feel weird when I ate them, scratchy throat! Not sure what changed but thankfully they are in my life now and in just about everything I’ve made this last week.
Chocolate Avocado Banana Bread:
- 1/2 of a medium ripe avocado cubed or one small ripe avocado cubed
- 1 large egg (I have not tried flax egg)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large ripe bananas sliced
- 1 cup almond flour (I have not tried another flour)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder or cacao powder
- 2/3-3/4 cup coconut sugar (I used 2/3 sugar and it was perfect but some people may think it’s not sweet enough)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Dash of sea salt
- 1/3 cup crushed peanut butter chocolate covered almonds (or chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare a bread pan with nonstick spray and then parchment paper.
- Place the cubed avocado, sliced bananas, coconut sugar, vanilla extract, and egg in a blender or food processor and blend until super smooth.
- Add in the flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and sea salt and blend/pulse slightly until combine. Shouldn’t take more than a few seconds!
- Pour into your prepared bread pan and top with crushed peanut butter chocolate covered almonds or chocolate chips.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for five minutes before removing from the bread pan and let completely before slicing!
Thoughts about avocado in desserts? I’m game for avocado in my desserts as long as I don’t taste them. You truly cannot taste the avocado over all the chocolate and banana flavors. YUM!