Sometimes you just gotta eat breakfast with your hands, ya know? Ditch the fork and dip these cinnamon sugary sticks into some peanut butter syrup drizzle. These were totally inspired by my love for french toast sticks back in the day from any fast food spot that sold them. I’m looking at you Jack in the Box!
Cinnamon Sugar Blueberry Waffle Sticks:
- 1 cup gluten free 1-to-1 flour
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4–1/2 cup water or milk of choice (depending on desired consistency or how many waffles you want. Start with 1/4 and add a tbsp from there if needed.)
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
Cinnamon Sugar coating:
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsps coconut sugar (or other sugar of choice)
Peanut Butter Syrup Drizzle:
- 1 tbsp melted peanut butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Preheat your waffle maker. I use a waffle “stick” maker.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry waffle ingredients together and mix. Add the applesauce and water/milk and mix again to form a smooth semi-drippy waffle batter. Fold in the blueberries, add additional liquid if needed.
- If using a waffle stick maker, add 1/4 of the batter to the hot waffle maker and allow it to cook before removing and repeating the process for the rest of the batter. If using a larger waffle maker, add 1/2 the batter to the hot waffle maker, allow it to cook, and repeat.
- Whisk the cinnamon sugar in a shallow plate or rectangle tupperware and set aside.
- Cut the large waffle into “sticks” or cut apart the waffle sticks. Spray one side with a little nonstick spray and dip in the cinnamon sugar coating. I only did one side but you can totally do both! Repeat until all the sticks have been covered.
- Whisk the melted peanut butter (or other nut butter) and maple syrup together and get ready to dip!
Thoughts on finger foods? Ever since having a baby I’m all about eating with hands. I really have to concentrate on using my silverware when eating in public these days. Cheers!